Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Recycle your coffee!


If you're a coffee junkie like me, you know how expensive the habit can be. Depending on how picky your tastes are, you can spend $7-$10 on a pound of coffee. Going to Starbucks all the time adds up very quickly.


I have a goofy habit of never finishing a cup of coffee. It gets cold before I drink it all and nuked coffee just isn't the same. Pouring the rest down the drain feels like throwing away money. So, I thought I'd share a little trick I started doing to cut down on my coffee waste and make for a nice afternoon treat.


When my coffee gets cold, whether I brewed it at home or bought it at the coffee shop, I pour it into a plastic jug and add a little chocolate syrup. I like my hot coffee with no sugar, but unsweetened ice coffee doesn't work for me. The chocolate syrup adds a little sweetness, almost like an iced mocha and it tastes great! Then into the fridge it goes. I drink some when I need a boost or a treat and add to it as go.
I usually brew fresh coffee in the morning, then drink my 'mocha' after lunch. It saves me from brewing another cup in the afternoon, and doesn't waste what I do brew or buy out.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Wendy Blight said...

Love this idea. I am not a coffee drinker, but my husband is. Almost every morning I comment on (he would say complain)how expensive coffee is and how he wastes it because I pour 1/4 pot down the drain when he leaves for work. I am going to share this idea and see if he likes it. Sounds delicious to me...if I liked coffee. :0)