Sunday, October 4, 2009

Don't Give Up!


Have you ever felt bombarded by circumstances, conflicts or health issues and wanted to run away and hide? I lean in that direction more frequently than I care to admit. It's something I learned from my family, particularly my mother. I've had to make a conscious choice to do otherwise and it's not always easy.

Recently, I've had a handful of health challenges, from a never-ending sinus infection to sleeping poorly and being tired most of the time, back problems as well as some others. My natural bent is to be overwhelmed and frustrated that I'm dealing with this when I'm only 35. I should be able to teach 4-6 year olds how to do jumping jacks without it inducing a week-long headache!

After reading Joyce Meyer's book, Never Give Up! I was inspired to take on a different attitude. I stopped complaining about my problems and made up my mind to proactively pursue solutions, one at a time. I talked it over with my husband and devised a plan for how to tackle each one.

I realized that part of my problem was a reluctance to spend the money on my own healthcare. It also takes some stepping out of my comfort zone to address some of these issues. But, I need solutions. A healthier mom and wife is a happier mom and wife. And that's better for everyone! I can't serve God and my family if my body isn't functioning the way it should.

I discovered that even my fatigue is improved when I make up my mind to get to work anyway. Rather than dwell on being tired, I've tried to focus on finding ways to muster up some energy and do what needs to be done. Sometimes I just need to get my behind off the chair and get to work! No excuses!

How about you? Any areas in your life where you're acting more like a victim than a victor? Take charge of your health and your outlook on life. God walks through life with us and will give us the strength to get through whatever we need to.

2 comments:

LaShaunda said...

My bestfriend made me realize I was putting money before my health care.

I just didn't want to put out all this money for medicine.

She told me she wanted me here and if she had to pay for the medicine she would. What an eye opener. I was being stubborn and selfish because yes my friend wants me here, but my family does to.

So I'm paying for medicine. :)

We're on the View together, just stopped by to say hi.

Bekah and Corey said...

I've started the process of testing for hormone replacement therapy. I'm excited at the prospect of seeing long-term health issues improve under this, but I'm trying to mentally prepare myself to praise God and persevere even if it doesn't help.

God's blessings as you try to figure your health issues out!

~Bekah