Monday, February 9, 2009

Are you interrupted?

"I think I find most help in trying to look on all the interruptions and hinderances to work that one has planned out for oneself as discipline, trials sent by God to help one against getting selfish over one's work. Then one can feel that perhaps one's true work - one's work for God - consists in doing some trifling haphazard thing that has been thrown into one's day. It is not a waste of time, as one is tempted to think, it is the most important part of the work of the day - the part that one can best offer to God. After such a hindrance, do not rush after the planned worlk; trust that the time to finish it will be given sometime, and keep a quiet heart about it."
- Annie Keary, 1825-1875, from "Keep a Quiet Heart" by Elizabeth Elliot

Interruptions and hinderances. Hmmm, I think I have two of those, ages 4 and 6! How many times do I feel hindered and interrupted from doing laundry, washing the dishes, writing, keeping to my set schedule for the day, etc, by my children! It feels horrible to think of them as trials. They are really a joy. (Usually. Well, except for this morning with my 4 year old... That's another story!) But, I do feel interrupted and inconvenienced by them. (Insert conviction here.) God has given me the gift and privilege to stay at home with them and home school them. They are not the interruption, but th real work that God has for me. Everything else is the interruption.

Lord, help me keep a quiet heart. Actually, give me one to begin with and then help me hold on to it! :)

"Whatever happens is assigned." -Elizabeth Elliot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I'm just checking out your blog (didn't know you had one) for the first time.
Good article here. I really appreciate your heart and desire to continually strive to honor and serve God.
Lisa
:)